Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Centerfield, other stuff


The Twins say they have a competition for the centerfield job.
The candidates are Carlos Gomez, Jason Pridie and Denard Span.
I've said since the Twins traded Johan Santana to the Mets that they should sign Kenny Lofton to hold down the job, but now I can kind of see why that isn't probably feasible.
It wouldn't leave enough at-bats for the three kids.

Gomez is the favorite. He's the Twins top offensive prospect, and has a lot of tools. He's being called the fastest player in the game, and has a rocket for an arm.

But, as we saw during Wednesday's win over the Yankees, he does not have that rocket arm under control. I still don't think he's ready.
The important thing for Gomez is that he plays everyday, either at Triple-A or with the Twins. I'd prefer he goes to Triple-A.

That would leave Pridie and Span. Pridie hasn't gotten much playing time so far, and I think that's because the Twins have a pretty good idea of what he can do. He looks like a guy who can be a Rich Becker-type player, coming off a very strong year in Triple-A.

Span has been a bust so far as a former 1st round pick. He says he's in it to win it, but I just don't buy it. He can't get on base.

My guess is Gomez wins the job, Pridie makes the team as a backup, and Span plays everyday in Triple-A. I'd rather have Pridie playing every day in Minnesota, Gomez playing everyday in Rochester, and Span learning how to become a bench player, because that's his future.

*Big, big homer for Garrett Jones off Joba Chamberlain. Jones is out of options, meaning he has to make the team or be exposed to waivers. I don't think Jones really deserves to make the team, and I don't think he will. I also don't think, especially after a bomb like that, that he'd clear waivers. So he's probably gone.

*Brian Buscher is another candidate for the bench, and he's been tearing it up so far. He's been scalding the ball, and has apparently been better in the field, too. He might get that 25th spot.

*Francisco Liriano to start Friday. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: