Friday, January 18, 2008

A Friday update

So I didn't find the time for one-on-one interviews with Ron Gardenhire or Pat Neshek Wednesday, because I was too busy working on a story about poker.
I wish I were kidding. I am not.
I still made the trip to the Twins Caravan, though. The best part was the beer.
Gardy was an impossibly nice guy, taking time to answer any and all questions honestly and thoughtfully, while Neshek seemed extremely uncomfortable.
Everyone wanted to know about Johan Santana, of course, and Gardy said that, if a trade is made, it has to be for players who can help now, because "we're not rebuilding here."
Not yet you're not, Ron.
Side note: Stunningly, he never used the phrase "battle/battled his/their tail off" once. I was ready to keep a running tally and it never happened.
Turning over a new leaf? Doubt it.

*At one point there was a crying baby near the stage, and Gardy said "Someone tell AJ to be quiet." Good one, Gardy.
*While Gardy seems to think the Twins are going to land players who can help now in the Santana sweepstakes, there are some rumblings that the Mets are now the leader, and that would mean full-on rebuilding. All of the prospects mentioned in their package (I'll get to it next week), are either marginal prospects or at least two years away from being ready.
If they accept a deal for five 19-year olds from the Mets when they could've had Melky Cabrera and Phil Hughes from the Yanks, or Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie and Justin Masterson from Boston, I'll be pissed.
This thing is almost guaranteed to be ugly for Bill Smith in the short term.

*No progress being made at all in regards to Justin Morneau and an extension. I would advise them to get that done, because he's just getting more expensive by the day.
*Jason Kubel signed a 1 year, $1.3 million deal. Wonder if that means they'll actually play him.
* I think Roger Clemens is guilty as hell, and I'm very much enjoying his public fall from grace. He's always been a piece of shit.
*I hope Randy Moss is not guilty.
*Why is Randy Wittman employed?
*Why can't Spencer Tollackson make a free throw? (Don't care if I spelled that wrong, BTW)
*Why did I get a haircut?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is Kevin McHale employed?

SDTwin said...

Because he has very long arms.
And because he once caught Glen Taylor performing fellatio on a goat.

Anonymous said...

Fernando Martinez, despite the wrist injury, is legit. I like that deal the best, hands down.