Sunday, June 25, 2006

They're too good

Even though the Twins are playing as well as I can remember them playing since their 15-game winning streak in 1991, I still don't think they can make the playoffs. The White Sox and Tigers are just too good.
Last night I flipped to the Sox-Astros game, saw Houston leading 7-1 and kept flipping. About an hour and a half later it was 9-9.
The Astros did end up winning the game, but it was a reminder that the Sox are really, really good.
I believe in Detroit, but I still think the Sox will win the Central.
And the only way for the Twins to have a shot at the playoffs is if Detroit falls off a cliff.
That could happen if they got hit with some injuries.
But on the other hand, the Twins could just be on a hot streak right now, and fall back some themselves.
One thing I think we can say with certainty, though, is that the AL Central, once a laughingstock, is now the best division in baseball.
* Brad Radke has a 2.27 ERA in his last five starts. He appears to have righted himself, and if Silva has as well, the Twins will continue to win games at over a .600 clip.
* When it looked like the Twins were out of contention it didn't make sense to me for Ruben Sierra to be on the roster. But if the team is in the race, I like having him. A veteran with power, he makes a good pinch-hitter, a la Jose Offerman or Midre Cummings.
*Rondell White has finally blamed his mind boggling suckiness on a stiff shoulder. I'm not saying I don't believe him, but why wait till now to say something. The guy is having one of the worst seasons in baseball history.
*I'm really coming around on Jason Bartlett. While I was convinced he was better than Juan Castro, I was not convinced he was the answer. He's starting to look like he could have a Greg Gagne-like career.
*I would sum up the Cubs in one word: Dis-gus-ting. Even though I can't stand Dusty Baker, I feel bad for him. That team is horrible. A joke. Wow, are they bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least the Twin's are beating the teams that they are supposed to be beating. Only thing providing a little hope is the 2nd half of the season has a lot of games within the division for all 3 teams involved.

Here's to hope....

Rusty