Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Special Season

When Kirby Puckett passed away, many suggested it could be a rallying point for the Twins, and several players - most notably Torii Hunter - talked of dedicating the season to the Hall of Famer's memory.
I never really wrote anything about it, but I secretly hoped to myself that the ghost of Kirby could will this team to something special.
Or something like that.
Instead, the team went out and, for the first six weeks or so, played the kind of baseball that represented everything the opposite of Kirby Puckett, the kind of baseball that embarrassed his memory.
In late May, that started to change.
Right now the Twins are playing the best ball that they maybe ever have. They're beating good teams and bad teams, and theyre not just winning, they're kicking team's asses.
It seems like every time you turn on the TV it's 8-1 or 9-2 or 6-0.
Even more amazing than their terrific play, though, is the fact that they've managed to win, what is it 15 of 16 now?, and pick up only a half game in the standings.
Lots of people like me have said that the standings don't matter, that the Twins probably can't make the playoffs but who cares because it's fun to watch them play so well, etc., etc.
But I don't know about that anymore.
Sure the Twins look like a team that would enter 2007 as favorites, but they're probably one of the top 4 teams in all of baseball right now.
How frustrating would it be to watch the playoffs on TV with the Twins sitting at home after having played .700 ball for the final 4 months?
You'd think that if they can keep up the pace even a little that they'd start making up ground eventually, and they do have 22 games left against the Tigers and White Sox.
Those games will carry tremendous significance, obviously.
This is one of those years that reminds you why baseball is such a great and unpredictable game.
Maybe, when things get tight, Kirby can pull some strings for us.
We're gonna need it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rusty says you better stuff that fucking ballot box tonight!!!

Anonymous said...

Howdy. I know this is off topic, but is there a way you could email me a copy of that tremendous story you wrote about Chad Hermansen? A hard copy'd be better, but I'll take what I can get. You could send it toclyde19ft@hotmail.com

I live in Sioux Falls and had no interest in the Canaries until you wrote about Hermansen, whom I'd never heard of. My wife then threw away your story. And in two Canaries games I've been to, Hermansen's hit me two foul balls.

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»