Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Thanks for reading Gardy

I have criticized Ron Gardenhire more this year than ever before.
Almost daily, either here or in the paper, I have said 'Gardy do this, Gardy do that.'
And you know what?
He's listened.
Stop playing Lew Ford, play Jason Kubel, I said.
Done.
Give Boof Bonser a chance in the rotation, I said.
Done.
Get Mike Redmond more at-bats, I said.
Done.
And then last night, we got a two-for-one.
Tony Batista was released and Jason Bartlett was called up.
Meaning both Batista and Juan Castro lose their jobs.
Finally.
Rondell White and Shannon Stewart had better be on the lookout.
The fact that Bartlett is back in the lineup is great news.
Not that I think he's going to be great or anything, but at least he's got a little potential, whereas Castro was simply a waste of space.
Batista was the same at 3rd, but the Twins don't have anyone in the minors ready to step in.
Matt Moses probably won't be ready till 2008.
It looks like the at-bats are going to go to Terry Tiffee, Luis Rodriguez and Castro.
Many fans still have a favorable impression of Tiffee after he had a tremendous debut weekend in the bigs a couple years ago, but in reality he's terrible. I actually think he's worse than Batista.
I wouldn't mind Rodriguez getting an extended look, but I think everyone knows he's a utility guy.
Batista was a big risk, and I admit I was a little optimistic about his ability to at least hit some homeruns. But it's pretty clear that the guy is finished.
So, sure, I'm happy the Twins are starting to cut their dead weight. I just wonder if the Twins had opened the season with Bartlett at short, Corey Koskie at third and Frank Thomas at DH, if they'd still be in the race.

No comments: