Thursday, July 28, 2005

Take That, Leiter

Al Leiter tried his damndest to give the Twins the game last night, but the Twins would have none of it.
7 hits, 5 walks, a hit batter in 5 innings? And one run? Nice try, Leiter.
But the bats came alive (a little) and The Boone made a couple great plays in the field, and Leiter got his way in a Twins win.
Why am I not more excited?
Maybe because I am starting to doubt this team.
And I dont just mean doubt them, like, 'Hmm...maybe these guys aren't the best team ever.'
Maybe it's more like, 'Hmm....maybe this team kinda sucks and I should start getting ready for the Vikings and their autumn of discontent.'
Basically I'm counting down the hours to the trading deadline. Not like I'm excited to see if we land Soriano or Sweeney (we won't) but more because I'm anxious to see if Terry Ryan sees it like I do and decides to be a seller and not a buyer.
I think the Twins are going to be fine. They still have more young talent than any team in the sport.
But I don't really like their chances of hanging on to that wild card spot.
Maybe this year is just a process they have to go through.
They're at the 100 game mark (54-46), but there's as good a chance of them going 25-37 the rest of the way as there is of them going 42-20.

No comments: