Monday, October 01, 2007

The National League is more fun this year

Other than the 8 non-Twins games I attended on my honeymoon this summer, last night's one-game playoff for the NL Wildcard was the first major league game all year I watched from beginning to end that didn't involve the Twins.
And it was worth it. 3-0 Rocks, 5-3 Dads, 6-5, 6-6, then staying that way til the 13th. Dads look ready to win after a two-run homer by Scott Hairston. Trevor Hoffman, he of the 524 career saves! comes on to close the door....and gives up a double, a double, a triple, and a lazer sac fly to blow the save. Rocks win, take the wild card.
I wanted to watch the game because one-game playoffs are awesome and rare. I had a feeling it would be a memorable game, and it was.
And Ramon Ortiz got the win. He's going to the playoffs. We're not.

What a finish in the NL. A monumental collapse for the Mets, the Rockies win 13 of 14 down the stretch to get in, the Phillies come back on the last day, the Cubs are in - this league is definitely more interesting than the AL.

I don't know how much of the playoffs I'll watch. I suppose if I'm not doing anything I'll watch, and I'll definitely be pulling for the Phillies and Rockies. But it's not like I'm going to set aside time to watch. It's tough when you thought your team was gonna be there.

1 comment:

ZSS said...

Hey now, there's always the Vikes.