Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rod Beck - An all-timer


When I went to my first spring training, in Arizona in 1992, my family and I went to a Giants-Indians game, and got there plenty early to try and meet some players and get some autographs.
I specifically remember Will Clark and several other familiar names blowing us all off.

But I also remember an unknown guy with the worst hair I'd ever seen signing autographs for an hour.
The dude was not wearing a hat. He was nearly bald on top, with like a military crewcut, but in the back his hair went down to his waist and spread out sideways to where it almost wrapped around his arms.

It was Rod Beck. He was a nobody at the time, and he signed autographs until there was no one left to sign for.
Before long, Beck was one of the game's top closers, but his everyman quality never left him.

Beck died this week at 38. Cause of death is still unknown.
Since his death, plenty of stories have circulated describing what a cool guy he was.
He drank. He smoked. He had a mullet.
He was cool.

Once, after a game where he pitched poorly and blew a save, a reporter approached Beck's locker nervously and asked, "Are you available?"
He replied, "Actually, I'm married."

Then there was the time in 2003, when he was trying a comeback with the Triple-A Iowa Cubs.
While pitching there he lived in his RV behind the OF fence, and actually invited fans to grill-out and drink beer every night after games. But no Miller Lite (again, how cool is this guy?)
He cooked for these people, let them use the bathroom in his RV, and control the remote for the TV that was set up outside. Signed autographs. Bummed cigarettes.
He was eventually picked up by San Diego, and picked up 20 saves in 20 chances, all while throwing an 82-mph fastball.

Some of Beck's greatest quotes:
"I was taught that ice was for bourbon, not for your arm."
"
If those guys were still there, I wouldn't go back for all the money in Boston. And there's a lot of money in Boston." - on Dan Duquette and Joe Kerrigan.
"I think half the time, I was throwing my fastball, but they thought it was a change."
"I didn't want to get a liquor license, so I just give the stuff away for free." - on inviting fans to his RV for postgame beers.
"If you can make money off me defacing a baseball card, good luck."
"I've never seen anyone go on the Disabled List with pulled fat."

Rod Beck dies, Manny Ramirez and Roger Clemens live on.
Say it isn't so.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rod Beck is your real father.

Anonymous said...

I have always liked Rod Beck. He's a lot like my neighbor Chuck. Both are hairy as the dickens and like to drink beer.
Funny thing about Chuck, whenever he drinks beer, he tries to get me to play some game called "reach around." What a card. RIP, Rod.

Anonymous said...

And I've always liked Chuck.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of Chuck Wollery. (sorry if i spelled that wrong webster) I always hated when he'd use the phrase "makin whoopee". But in honor of Rod, I might bring it back.

Anonymous said...

Chuck Woolery is a legend among game show hosts. The box that guy pulled in his day, with his little "back in two and two". Bob Barker didn't score near the amount of a** that Chuck did.

Rod Beck was the working man's All-Star. He didn't like to booze with the latino's though. They're too antcy for him I guess.

Anonymous said...

twins win, 8-5!

Anonymous said...

This "Chuck" isn't by chance a veterinarian at the humane society, is he? I was there the other day and this guy wearing an orange T-shirt asked me if I wanted to play reach around. I knew he was an animal doctor because the back of his orange T-shirt had the word DOC on it.

--FYI, I think Bartlett is the next Vince Coleman.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever turned Chuck down on one of his reach around requests?

fyi - Punto's hitting .217 aka HORRIBLE.

Rondell Black is making progress towards at least a minor league rehab assignment.

Anonymous said...

Did I say chuck woolery? I meant the guy from the newlywed game. Way sexier.

Hell, he probably even got some tail hanging out in Rod Beck's RV.

Side note - I think I saw that orange DOC t-shirt vet near the interstate today, with a sign asking for food, or a ride. I was afraid to drive by him on my scooter, lest he ask for a reach around.

Not sure how I could do that on a Scooter anyway.

Anonymous said...

it's Chuck WHOOLERY

Anonymous said...

Are you sure? I think someone is pulling the WOOL over your eyes.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, great joke! I don't know how you come up with such things.

Anonymous said...

Fireworks at the canaries tonight!!!

Oh, wait, the canaries blow, and I have a riveting 8:30 chat room to attend.

Anonymous said...

I think the Angel of Death got confused and took the wrong Beck. How is Randell these days, anyway?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you know. He's still on his quest to take down the Governor.

Anonymous said...

Randell Beck's a little bitch as far as I'm concerned. His riveting front page editorials always knock me off my feet. For instance, he demands that a state employed janitor's $8.32 wage be made public. Man, that's just big time important stuff. Or his big cover up, the fact that he's a PETA homer, and animal rights fag, trying to find out who the governor takes pheasant hunting. Maybe Randell's the guy who acts as "Chuck", and is responsible for all the reach around requests.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Chuck doesn't work. He is on disability. I guess his knees are shot. I suppose he installed tile or something like that.
He says he spends his free time keeping up the Sherman Park restrooms, shopping at Hobby Lobby, hanging out in the YMCA men's locker room, and helping out with various wrestling programs.

ZSS said...

"Rod Beck dies, Manny Ramirez and Roger Clemens live on.
Say it isn't so."

Give me a break dude, that's a stretch. Who's hijacking your page, by the way?

Anonymous said...

Hijacking? That's a stretch.

SDTwin said...

You will be lonely if you come here to defend Manny Ramirez or Roger Clemens.
Especially Manny.
I really do wish he was dead.

ZSS said...

I don't doubt I'd be lonely, here anyway. But I really don't care if I don't make any friends among the Twin faithful. Manny may not be backin' up the RV to share some booze an' brats, but your still stretching.

SDTwin said...

Am not.

Anonymous said...

I once stretched a single into a double...just because Zim said I couldn't.

SDTwin said...

It's true, he did. Against First Premier. But I was more excited about the game-ending double play he turned.

ZSS said...

Oh, before this post gets buried...

You like Manny, deep down.

Anonymous said...

Hold each of these stretches for at least 10 seconds.. [url=http://www.fillerobe.com]canada goose[/url] The name is actually derived from the origins of the owners (Canada and Laos) but for a rather more romantic explanation turn to you French dictionary. [url=http://www.saclongchampsparis.fr]le sac longchamp[/url] Qfrepcwjb
[url=http://www.jacketstorontoonsale.com]banff down parka[/url] Exdmkmijo [url=http://www.louboutinstoreuk.co.uk]christian louboutin sale[/url] bcptrsmcz [url=http://www.cheapcanadagooseparkas.ca]canada goose chilliwack bomber[/url]

Anonymous said...

beats by dr dre ghceaccb beats by dre qvamykdx beats dr dre lkpkssql beats for sale rjgpgrjx beats headphones ydbfquvc cheap monster beats jklzqlqd dr dre beats zgwxtvmo dr dre headphones flilixcy monster beats by dre wtuggoaj monster beats headphones jhantubd monster beats dywxsunj monster headphones txpwykpt

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.