Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Roadrunners...winning rules


When I'm not writing about an indoor football team that never loses, or a major league baseball team that seems to try its hardest not to win, then goes out and wins anyway, I do still actually play baseball.

This is my 9th year of amateur baseball, my second with the Renner Roadrunners, and my fourth as a manager.

After picking up a pair of wins Sunday and Monday, we are 4-2, including 3-0 in our conference, and are currently ranked No. 1 in the state in Class A.

On Sunday, our 20-year old pitcher Chris Kessinger, struck out 20 batters, and also homered and doubled. He's pretty good. He's got a chance to someday get paid to play this game.

And, just to brag a little, I am currently hitting .400 (6-for-15).

I don't know if we can win the state title. We could use a little more depth in our pitching staff.
But anyone that is going to contend for the title will certainly have to go through us.
All I know is that winning is fun. Really fun. I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to be part of a winner.
When you've got a group of guys you enjoy being around that know how to play the game the right way, baseball is the greatest game in the world.

And in case you are wondering, I never bat my DH 9th, don't limit my starters to 100 pitches per start, don't bat utility infielders in the 2-hole just because they run faster than a guy who gets on base twice as often, and I don't let a shitty outfielder play the OF instead of DH just because he thinks he hits better that way.

If we do win this thing, I may send my resume to Terry Ryan.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to get a life! -Phil

SDTwin said...

You are suspended. Zim.

Anonymous said...

Who is better you or Phil? What is his batting average. Does he even play. I remember when you guys could'nt buy a win now your in first, must be the manager. Good luck with state.

Anonymous said...

Blowhard. I'm sure the time off from managing has been the biggest help.

Anonymous said...

Kind of hard to read this one considering how much I miss playing....but if you ever need a below knee amputation (BKA), I'm your guy. I've assisted on a few this month so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.
Btw, sawing off someone's leg while they are asleep is a pretty cool thing in of itself.
Rusty