Wednesday, May 04, 2005

R.I.P. Corky

A written transcript of a meeting between Ron Gardenhire and Corky Miller Wednesday morning:

CM: Hey, skip, ya got a minute?
RG: Sure, Cork, come on in.
CM: Say, I was just wondering, uhhhh...when are you going to put me on waivers?
RG: Say what?
CM: Yeah, uh, I don't know if you noticed but I'm pretty worthless. I'm not a bad guy or anything, but with Mauer, Redmond and even LeCroy, I pretty much serve no purpose on this roster.
RG: Hmmmmm.......but what if....
CM: No, skip, I already tried. I tried to think of one scenrario where I might hold some value and I couldn't come up with one.
RG: But......
CM: Skip, no, please, don't make this any harder than it already is. I've already packed my bags for Rochester.
RG: But what if you don't clear waivers? What if someone claims you and you can't go to Rochester?
CM: Seriously, what are you on? I have one hit in my last 54 at-bats. Who would claim a 32 year old 250 pound catcher with a mullet whose batting .017?
RG: (Staring at his feet) I probly would.
CM: There's a young man named Tiffee playing Rochester right now who can really help us. He hit a 3-run homer last night.
RG: (lower lip trembling)
CM: It's time to do the right thing, Skip. I know you'll do the right thing.


At 2:00 central standard time, the Minnesota Twins placed Corky Miller on waivers, and recalled infielder Terry Tiffee. Miller cleared waivers, and was assigned to the Twins AAA team in Rochester.

No comments: