Monday, May 02, 2005

The Juice is Loose

Part of me was shocked when I saw the news that Juan Rincon tested positive for a banned substance today on ESPN.com. But another part of me wasn't surprised at all.
I'm not going to rant about the steroid issue and how far it reaches or its long and short term effects on the sport, but I will say that I think we're learning how big supplements and training are a part of professional sports.
People hear the word steroids and they think of the big muscle-bound freaks like McGwire and Canseco, but the first guy to get busted, Alex Sanchez, has hit 4 homeruns in his career.
I think what's happening isn't that these guys are trying to bulk up to hit a bunch of homers, but rather they're just being extremely careless about what they use as supplements, wether they're taking them on their own or under the advice of a trainer. I guarantee you Juan Rincon and Alex Sanchez will be awfully careful the next time they see even a bottle of creatine.
Remember, Mark McGwire openly admitted to using Andro in 1998-99, and baseball said, 'No big deal, Mark, it's legal.'
Today, Andro is on the list of banned substances in every sport, and was recently outlawed by the FDA. And now Selig is talking about 50 game suspensions for first time offenders.
I'm all for cleaning up the game, but it seems slightly hypocritical of baseball to suddenly start giving guys the chair for something that was not only allowed but condoned as recently as five years ago.
But who knows, maybe, on the other hand, Rincon is a filthy cheater who's effectiveness over the last three seasons has been artificial. I doubt it, but I guess we don't really know.
Let's hope for the Twins sake that that isn't the case, and that he comes back allright and is more careful in the future.

No comments: