Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Swing the Bat, Meat!

Man did this one piss me off.
I mean pissed me the hell off.
I don't know if I've ever yelled at the TV during a Twins game like I did on this night.
The White Sox played an absolutely disgraceful game and managed to beat the Twins anyway, 5-4.
I haven't read the Chicago Tribune story yet, but I bet Ozzie Guillen says something to the effect of, "Man we really played like burnt ass tonight. I can't believe we won."
The Sox made errors, balked in a run, walked batter after batter, and yet, when Kyle Lohse served up a fat one, as he tends to do quite regularly, the Sox did something funny.
They hit it.
As much as the 3 double-plays pissed me off, especially the two that came with the sacks juiced, what really made me mad was the sickening amount of cock-shots (that would be 88-mph fastballs right down the middle of the plate) Twins hitters watched pass by as though they were completely disinterested.
Shannon Stewart, who normally can be counted on for great at-bats, even if he doesn't get on, had the worst one in the 8th against journeyman Dustin Hermansen:
1st pitch - Fastball, right down the middle, taken for strike one.
2nd pitch - Another fastball, right down the middle, taken for strike two.
3rd pitch - Sinker in the dirt, swung on and missed strike three.
Nice goin' Stewie. The kids in the Tom Emanski videos are blushing.
But it wasn't just Stewie. They were all doing it. I was screaming at them: "SWING, YOU ASSHOLES, SWING!!!!! But no. All part of Scotty "Can't Believe I'm Gettin' Paid" Ullger's master plan, I'm sure.
Funny, Carl Everett's 450 foot homer to break the tie came on a first pitch fastball from Kyle Lohse. It's been said a million times. You often get only one good pitch to hit in an at-bat. Don't miss it.
Now I know I'm slightly contradicting myself, because in the past I've criticized this team for not being patient, swinging at everything and getting themselves out. Like they did on opening day against Jamie Moyer.
But come on, you can't go up there with your mind made up to not swing at the first pitch.
You are major league hitters. You should be somewhat capable of differentiating good (hittable) pitches from bad (pitcher's pitches) ones.
And I think you know which ones you're supposed to swing at.

No comments: