Monday, April 18, 2005

Roooaaaad Trrrriiiiiiippppp!!!!

Well even though the Twins took 2 of 3 from the team many think is the primary threat to their 4th straight division title, I'm pissed off.
At JC Romero.
Yes, if Michael Cuddyer had made the play JC would have been out of the inning and, presumably the Twins could've turned it over to Juan Rincon and Joe Nathan and swept their second straight series and won their seventh straight game.
But he didn't.
And then JC showed why he is not in the same class as Rincon and Nathan by failing to pick up his teammate.
Guess what, Cuddy is going to make errors. In fact, he'll probably lead the team in that category this year. It happens.
Good pitchers pick up their teammates, or at least try to.
But it was readily apparent that JC was sulking, and felt that Cuddy's error had given him a built in excuse to go ahead and lose the game without blame.
Well, JC, I blame you, not Cuddy.
If Hafner had ripped a double off the wall, fine, you tried, you lost, good luck next time. But no, the Twins get the lefty-lefty matchup they want and JC....hits him. It wasn't even close. In fact, two pitches earlier he just barely missed him and I thought to myself: "I wouldn't be surprised if later in this at-bat JC hits Hafner to force in the winning run.
The fact that I was right doesn't make me clairvoyant, it makes JC predicable and still inconsistent.
I know I'm being too hard on the guy, cuz prior to that he's looked great this year. I'm just upset with the way he lost it. As the Twins folded up the tents against Bob Wickman in the ninth, the one word that kept popping in my head about JC's day was gutless. You need a guy with a little more cajones than that in October.
Having said that, we did manage to do two cool things in the first two games of the series: A) win on friday despite only 3 hits, and B) beat Kevin Milwood with Dave Gassner.
Gassner looked very good, very composed, and while I can't say I was surprised (the guy was 16-8 in AAA last year with an 86-mph fastball. It's just as hard to succeed in the minors without heat as it is in the majors so obviously the guy knows how to pitch.) but I'm not going to get all excited either. I look forward to his next start.
I will say that if Lohse continues to struggle, their is the possibility that he goes to the bullpen and Gassner takes his place. With Silva coming back (Thank God) and Mays coming off a terrific start on Sunday (Thank God again), Lohse could give the Twins yet another power arm in the pen, with Radke, Santana, Silva, Mays and Gassner in the ro'. But it's still too early to write off Lohse. But I bet Gardy and Terry Ryan have both already entertained the thought.

PS - I sat nex to Kyle Lohse's wife at a game once.
GOD DAMN! She's, uh, nice looking.

No comments: