Monday, May 28, 2007

.500, amazingly


We got back from our trip Monday at Noon.
It was awesome. We saw seven great ballparks, drank lots and lots and lots of beer, and went to some cool places (Al Hrobosky's Ballpark Saloon is the best sportsbar in America, I am ready to declare). I'll maybe write some more about it later, but I don't want to right now. I'm ready to get back in routine.

So the first thing I did after driving over 2,000 miles to watch 10 baseball games?
Watch a baseball game, the Twins vs. White Sox.

The Twins are playing well. Last year the moves to replace Juan Castro, Tony Batista and Scott Baker with Jason Bartlett, Nick Punto and Francisco Liriano sparked a major run.
Could replacing Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz with Baker and Kevin Slowey do the same?

Possibly, although it's kind of an apples-oranges comparison.
What I see is that a healthy Michael Cuddyer and Luis Castillo are pretty important, and that Justin Morneau and Torii Hunter are every bit as good as they were last year. They're scoring enough runs, I think. I'd still like to see more.

If Jeff Cirillo can get hot it looks like Gardy is willing to let him take ABs from Punto at 3rd. I think by years end Cirillo will be hitting .300 and Punto will be a part-time player.
I was very disappointed to see Lew Ford replace Jason Kubel in the lineup so much over the last week. Kubel has struggled, yes, but he still has a lot of upside.
Meanwhile it should be apparent by now to even the most bone-headed Leeeeeeeeewwww fan out there that Ford is almost completely worthless. Kubel had a good game Monday at the plate and in the field, and Jason Tyner also had a good game, so maybe that situation will return to normal.

The bullpen is a concern now, thanks to all the injuries. Carmen Cali, Jason Miller and Julio DePaula have replaced Jesse Crain, Dennys Reyes and Glen Perkins, though someone (probably DePaula) will go back down when Slowey is called up and Ortiz is shifted to the bullpen.
I don't think Ortiz will fare much better out of the pen. Ironically, I think both Carlos Silva (who still has a respectable 4.22 ERA) and Ponson would actually have a chance to be good relievers. But it's not going to work out that way.
The saving grace is Matt Guerrier, who is no longer a mop-up guy. And he no longer should be. In fact, I think most Twins fans would agree with me in saying they have more confidence in him than they ever have in Crain.
As long as the big three of Juan Rincon, Pat Neshek and Guerrier exists in front of Joe Nathan, the pen should survive.

Meanwhile, the rotation suddenly looks promising. Johan Santana is finding his summer groove, while Boof has very quietly posted terrific numbers in 10 starts (3-1, 3.88 ERA, 62 Ks in 55 IP).
I'm not ready to declare Baker back, but his first two starts have been very promising.
Silva still lives dangerously every outing, but it's hard to argue with 4.22, especially considering what we all expected of him.

As for Slowey, I wouldn't be surprised if he has immediate success (nor, frankly, would I be surprised if he gets knocked around a bit).
His minor league numbers are filthy. He's walked five guys in 63 innings. He's ready.
He's so ready.
And don't forget about Matt Garza. Don't think he won't be motivated by the fact that both Baker and Slowey are in the show and he's still stuck in Rochester.
Knock on wood, but I don't think pitching is going to be the Twins problem this year (I've pretty much been saying that all year, though).

The problem, if there is one, will be staying healthy.
Remember back when Alexi Casilla, Tyner and Luis Rodriguez were all playing almost every day?
Just getting Castillo and Cuddyer in their every day has been huge. It's made Morneau and Hunter better.
Joe Mauer will be back soon. It would be tempting to give him plenty of DH duty, and let Redmond continue to handle the bulk of the catching duties, but Mauer and the trainers are concerned that DH'ing is actually harder on him than catching, because he gets too tight in the dugout.

Fine, I guess that means Mike Redmond is the DH. The way he's hitting, he can't come out of the lineup.
If and when Rondell White ever comes back, I say use him as a pinch-hitter and spot OF vs. lefties until he proves himself useful.
And keep giving Cirllo ABs at 3rd and Kubel ABs in LF.
That is all.


*In case you're wondering, I think the AJ spike-gate was blown way out of proportion. I'm sick of Dick Bremer playing the AJ as villain card, and I just wish everyone would shut up about him.
It was apparent to the entire TV audience (but apparently not Bremer) that AJ tried to apologize when Morneau came to bat in the 6th, and though he could be lying (and Morneau didn't appear interested in what he had to say), that should be the end of it.
I've made my pro-AJ feelings known on many occasions.
In my opinion the Twins need less Disney characters on their roster and more Gashouse Gang types.

Besides, all AJ did in Minnesota was play a central role in the club ending a nearly 10 year run of ineptitude, hit the biggest post-season homer in team history this century, and help the team acquire two All-Stars (Liriano and Nathan) and a potential All-Star (Boof).
I'd say it's time we move on.

1 comment:

ZSS said...

Interesting photo you chose...