Saturday, February 03, 2007

It's a fucking horse


I don't want to sound insensitive to the deceased or to animals.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a big animal lover. Most of the time I prefer the company of animals to people.

Having said that, I can't get over how stupid some people in this country are when it comes to animals.
People - you know, the other beings that make up the race we are a part of - die by the millions every day. In sickness, war, injury, accident, murder, tragedy and so many other ways. And nobody cares. I'm not saying they should.

But a fucking horse (Barbaro) that ran a few laps and made millions for its uppity owners has to be put to sleep, and everyone starts crying like it's a national tragedy.

It's a fucking horse, people.

It's mind-bogglingly stupid how much time and money people have wasted sending get-well cards, gifts and money to this horse and its handlers.
Look people, if you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket and you're looking for a good cause, try, oh, I don't know....
*starving children
*abused and neglected children
*the homeless
*battered women
*the disabled
*veterans
*single mothers
*education
*mosquito nets in Africa
*the environment
*any social program within your community

Any of these would be more deserving of your time and money than a millionaire horse.
These are the same kind of idiots who watch a movie in which hundreds of people get killed and they don't blink an eye, but a cat gets thrown on the grill in good fun and they call their state senator to bitch about animal rights.

RIP Barbaro, I'm sure you and your extended family will be just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree... I watch the Soup every now and again and they were actually interviewing celebrities about what they thought of the "tragedy." After returning from the bathroom from throwing up, I went back to my program. No punchline, that's pretty much it.

-ZS