Friday, September 29, 2006

What a night

All I cared about while watching the Twins Thursday night was Brad Radke making it through about four or five innings without his arm falling off.
I didn't care if they won, I didn't care if Brad gave up 8 runs.
I just wanted Brad to have a nice night.
1, so he and the fans could enjoy what could've been his last start ever, and
2, so he could give Gardy any reason to choose him for the postseason roster over Carlos Silva.
So I wasn't asking much of the Twins.
Then they go and win the game in dramatic fashion, moving into a tie for first place in the Central, while Radke looked great for five innings, allowing no earned runs and hitting 90 on the gun.
That was an amazing performance by my favorite Twin.
Made possible, of course, by an opposite-field homer by Joe Mauer with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, and a terrific escape act in the top of the 9th by Juan Rincon, who loaded the bases with none out and got out of it.
But Radke was the story.
He was fighting tears afterward, maybe because he was touched by the crowd and the numerous tributes they showed him throughout the night, maybe because he was overcome by his own accomplishments in the face of tremendous physical adversity.
Either way, it was a monumental performance.
It did come against the KC Royals, who are not the NY Yankees, but even so, I think Twins Nation is unanimous in favoring Radke to take the mound at Yankee Stadium in the playoffs.
Maybe there's still some magic left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see Radke back for one last stand. Would it be better to be the wild card so we can have the NYY in a 5 game series rather than a 7 game? I guess we will take what we get but I wouldn't mind seing a 5 game series w/ Santana pitching 2 of the games.

Viggy

Newt said...

Zim-

You know we expect breakdowns on all Twins playoff games, right?

SDTwin said...

Oh, yeah.
I'm gonna get fuckin' retarded with the playoffs.