Monday, September 04, 2006

Bert's F-Bombs, Yankees series, I hate Hamster Face

In case you missed it, Bert Blyleven said this on Sunday's pregame telecast.
"We have to do this fuckin' thing over cuz I just fucked it up. What? Oh, we're live? Oh, I'm sorry about that."
Seriously.
Often the pregame segments (in this case they were talking about the MVP candidacies of Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and Derek Jeter) are taped in advance. That's what Bert thought was happening Sunday, but it was live, and his two F-bombs were heard loud and clear, after he had obviously stumbled through the segment.
He apologized again, sincerely I thought, in the top of the first, and a couple more times throughout the game. The Twins have suspended him for two games, and while they haven't ruled out firing him, it sounds like, for now, Bert is going to survive.
I occassionally make appearances on local TV sports shows, and I remember the first time I went on, the anchor told me, 'The golden rule is never say fuck in the studio - ever. No matter how sure you are that the cameras are off, something can always happen. So just never, every say fuck.'
Someone should've told Bert.
*Considering Carlos Silva, Scott Baker and Matt Garza took the mound, I'm actually happy with the Yankees series. The Twins are damn lucky to get one. I think it's clear by now that Silva isn't going to get it together this year, and considering the wealth of young pitchers in the organization, I'd consider trading him in the off-season. Baker, who I still think is going to be very good, pitched well, but the Yankees admit that they, for some reason, just can't hit the guy. I was at the game against the Yankees back in April when Baker mowed them down, in what was probably the best start of his career. As for Garza, he's not there yet, and I dont think it'll happen this year. I still think he's going to be great, but right now he seems nervous, and while he has the stuff to get ahead of hitters, he still hasn't figured out how to put them away.
The good news is that Boof Bonser looks like he's getting it together. I'm actually starting to feel fairly confident when he takes the mound.
*Francisco Liriano is apparently on track to return soon, which is great news. My guess is that he pitches out of the bullpen at first, and if the Twins manage to sneak into the playoffs, then maybe he can make some 5 or 6 inning starts.
*Brad Radke, on the other hand, is apparently done. He has vowed to return, but the doctors say that it will be nearly impossible. Stay tuned.
*I've decided that I hate Brad Childress, and anything less than a division title will ensure that I hate him forever. He continues to sign any player that he has ever coached before (Todd Pinkston? Are you fucking kidding me? There are receivers on the Sioux Falls Storm I'd rather have than that piece of shit), and he cut several Tice draft-picks, seemingly to make the point that he wants to win (read: lose) with his own guys.
Dustin Fox, Chris Lewinski, Willie Offord, Rod Davis, Richard Angulo, Jason Carter, Charles Gordon - these guys appeared capable of contributing. But heaven forbid we keep them over someone who didn't do shit while wearing an Eagles uniform (Carter, Angulo and Gordon did get resigned to the practice squad).
The fact is, Hamster face is taking over a team that went 9-7 last year and just missed the playoffs. He should be focused on improving the team slightly and winning what should be a totally weak NFC North. Instead, it appears that he's trying to tear it down and start over with his own guys. This is a bullshit move that many coaches and managers in various sports have pulled over the years. They're basically providing themselves a safety net for their first year, trying to say that they're not really trying to win, but rather 'build a foundation' or some bullshit.
It's stupid. This team can be a playoff team. I'm not saying that cutting Rod Davis is going to keep the Vikings out of the playoffs, but I am saying that just going out and adding whatever shit-scrub you coached three years ago is not how you improve.
That would be like me getting hired as the Editor of Sports Illustrated and hiring a bunch of my drunk-ass college roommates to be my staff writers.
Then when readers, or my superiors, questioned my decisions, I'd say some crap like, "Well, I'm familiar with them and they're familiar with me, and they have a good understanding of what I'm looking for, and we're building a foundation here and blah, blah, blah. It's a bunch of shit, and frankly, it's insulting to Vikings fans. Even if it works it's insulting, because it insinuates simple laziness. Who needs scouts, when you can just add anyone that Brad Childress has ever fucking met.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Brad childress , It is like the vikings are a expansion team and just a bunch of warm bodies on the roster that must be purged by the great commander in chief in order to not fall on their faces as they exit the tunnel. I'll bet you that if any of the viking players from the former regime make a great impact or really start to shine, there will be NO credit given to Tice at all .. But if there is a meltdown or major suck-assness the blame will be heaped on the former coach. It is the waa-waa ,what a mess the team was in ,it takes time to turn it around, blah, blah, blah, excuse bullshit. It seems what little I have seen of this childress guy he is a little Napoleon , With a little bit of Stalin thrown in for good measure. Yeah, Rome was'nt built in a day Bradley. But it burned in one night. I agee that silva is a huge question after this season do you want to bring him back? can you get anything for him? he is not breaking the bank but every bit helps the tight payroll Ryan has to work with . we will see how this year plays out. Thanks S

Newt said...

Fuckin Fuck