Thursday, August 31, 2006

Dylan, Boomer, the Vikes, the Royals

Bob Dylan released his 31st album this week, and (surprise) rock critics everywhere are hailing it as a classic.
Rolling Stone featured the 65-year old in the latest issue with an entertaining interview in which Dylan discussed his current tour of minor league baseball stadiums (he'll play the Birdcage Sept.8).
Dylan, who was born, raised, and still owns a home in Minnesota was asked to name his favorite baseball team.
This is what he said: "The problem with baseball teams is all the players get traded, and what your favorite team used to be - a couple of guys you really liked on the team, they're not on the team now - and you can't possibly make that team your favorite team.
It's like your favorite uniform.
I mean...yeah...I like Detroit. Though I like Ozzie (Guillen) as a manager. And I don't know how anybody can't like Derek (Jeter). I'd rather have him on my team than anybody."
Okay, Bob, I'm okay with you digging Jeter and even Ozzie, but no love for the Twins?! What gives? Are you a Minnesotan or not?
* With the rotation in shambles, the Twins are in deep shit as far as the playoff race goes, so I was glad to hear that they are pursuing David Wells in trade talks. Having said that, the Padres have been declared the front-runner in the race for Boomer. Let's hope Radke and Liriano get well really soon.
*Sports Illustrated picked the Viking to finish 6-10 this year. I'm not that surprised by that, but then again, this team was 9-7 last year, and it seems like, at the very least, they've improved since then. Doesn't it?
Of course, their running game has looked like shit so far, they have 5 Jake Reed-caliber WR with no go-to guys, and the defense has already suffered a bunch of injuries.
I can't remember ever in my life being less excited for the Vikings season to start than I am this year. Nothing about this team excites me. When they win they'll be boring and when they lose they'll be boring.
Think of all the names that played for the Vikings from about 1997 thru last year.
Cris Carter, Randall Cunningham, Randall McDaniel, Robert Smith, Jeff George, Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper, John Randle, Gary Anderson, Mitch Berger....there were guys to root for, guys to get excited about.
Who's supposed to be my favorite player on this team? Darren Sharper?
*The Twins finally beat the Royals today. Nice to see them scrape together 3 runs for Johan against Buddy Bell's latest Cy Young candidate.
The Twins willingness to lose to KC is going to cost them the wildcard. And, as I'm typing this, I just heard David Wells has been traded to the Dads. Shit.
The Twins have a weekend series in Yankee Stadium. Pitching for the Twins will be Carlos Silva, Scott Baker and Matt Garza.
Go get em boys.

1 comment:

Newt said...

Does the Vikes acquisiton of Brooks Bollinger spark your interest?