Wednesday, August 09, 2006

30 Homers, 101 RBIs, 49 games left

For the first time since I was 7 years old, a Minnesota Twins has reached 30 homers in a season.
The fact that it was a game-winner off one of baseball's best relievers to give the Twins a series victory against baseball's best team is just icing on the cake.
I'm predicting Morneau will finish the season hitting .326 with 41 homers and 132 RBIs.
If he does and the Twins win the wild card, he could win AL MVP honors.
Not bad for a guy who was hitting .222 on June 1st.
It was also nice to see Santana return to form with an excellent start.
I have a bad feeling that Liriano could be out for the season, or that if he does return he'll hurt himself again, but even if that's true, the Twins can still take the wild card. They're a flat out better team than the Red Sox, and if the White Sox don't get their pitching straightened out, the Twins could outlast them.
* I was in Mankato on Wednesday for Vikings training camp. I'll be working on a story about Greenway and Leber for the next couple days, but more importantly, I'll be giving a full camp report over at SkolVikes. Be sure to check that out in the next couple days.
I'll just say that I'm really excited about the Vikings defense, and more specifically, their defensive coordinator, Mike Tomlin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Morneau!!

As far as your upcoming blog on SkolVikes, I think SkolVikes has enough Viking homer news, how about some actual reporting instead of the same old "wow the Vikings are great".

Newt said...

The Vikes are great!