Monday, May 08, 2006

Zimmer: 0-2, K

So I played for the Canaries on Sunday, and grounded out against Sioux City Explorers ace Tom Lipari.
I also struck out looking in the 9th when Abner Arroyo graciously offered to let me hit for him.
Getting to do it with my lifelong teammate and friend Phil made it an even more memorable experience.
The Canaries players were really funny, friendly guys, and manager Mike Pinto is, as I've said before, one of the nicest people you could ever meet.
It was a beatiful day, and standing in right field as they played the national anthem was kind of overwhelming.
I spent most of the game in the dugout sitting next to pitcher Tony Cogan, a former KC Royal. What a great dude. He could've easily told any of us to buzz off, but we chatted through the whole game, and he had some nice things to say about my swing, which was very cool.
Chad Hermansen said he wanted to see Mission Impossible 3. I told him that Tom Cruise is gay, and therefore he shouldn't go.
He said, yes, I know Tom Cruise is gay, but the movie still looks cool.
But once the game started Hermansen never said a word to anybody, and I think he went 0-4. But playing next to him in the OF was really something. The guy played like 5 years in the big leagues, was a former 1st rd draft pick and I have like 5 of his baseball cards. And I was playing right next to him. At one point he looked over at me, gave me the horns and said, 'Two down, Matt.'
Awesome.
A guy named Mike Schmidt got to walk and actually scored a run, and also made a catch in RF.
One of the guys there was a total retard, and he almost ruined the experience for all of us. He made two big errors in RF that cost the Canaries three runs, and Pinto was pissed. Like Phil said, If I was that guy, I wouldn't have been able to come back into the dugout.
Phil struck out looking but got a couple of big hacks.
Backup catcher David Hoffman (I think that's his name anyway) saw Phil take a big rip and miss and said, 'Geez that was a good hack.'
I was like, yeah, he hits bombs all the time for our amateur team, and he said, 'God it would be awesome if he hit a bomb.'
I said, "No shit."
The tryout wasn't much - I don't think they would've given any of us a second look even if we'd hit 10 straight pitches over the centerfield fence.
But they at least pretended to be interested, which was nice. Bart Zeller, the hitting coach, is 65 going on 21. He's in great shape and told jokes the whole time. He told me that I hit BP better than half his players (for the record, I had a much better round of BP than I usually do, but they don't have to know that).
Rich Hyde, the pitcher/pitching coach, was also a real nice guy, but I'll be surprised if he throws 20 innings this year. He didn't sound optimistic, and he spent the whole game icing his arm even though I never saw him throw a ball all day.
I know the whole thing was mostly a publicity stunt (and a failed one at that considering hardly anyone showed up), but it was so much fun for us, and it was especially cool that the players and coaches were so good-natured about the whole thing.
And by the way, it wasn't my idea to make such a big damn deal of it in the newspaper. Having that big spread in there is about as embarassing as Dan Christopherson giving me the Kirby Puckett introduction at the game.
Oh and by the way, Nick Punto sucks and I'm this close to giving up on the Twins this year.

5 comments:

Newt said...

Great story in the paper. Great pics!!!

Anonymous said...

looking skinny zim! hope it was a great time. wished I could have been there to do it with you and phil....

rusty

harrahs80 said...

cool man i like

SDTwin said...

Phil went deep.

Anonymous said...

Phil, why the hell didn't you swing the bat and hit the ball. The first step to going deep is actually hitting the ball.