Monday, March 20, 2006

AL Central Preview: the KC Royals


I'll get to the Royals preview in a sec.
Been gone for a week due to March Madness.
No, not the big dance everyone loses money on while some ditsy secretary wins the pot.
No, in my world March Madness unfortunately means state high school basketball tournaments.
You know high school basketball, it's that thing we all stop caring about when we turn 19 (If we ever cared to begin with). Yet I get to spend five days in Aberdeen writing about it.
But speaking of real March Madness - I really suck at these pools. Not only have I never won, I've never even come close. This year I thought I'd have a shot if I picked almost no upsets. But of course there's been a billion already. I'm probably already out.
*As much as I'm ready to move on about Daunte Culpepper, I thought I'd mention this nugget from a Sid Hartman column.
Now I know a 2nd round pick is pretty underwhelming for a supposed franchise QB, but if you still think the Vikings were wrong to get rid of this punk after reading the following, then your name is probably Drew Rosenhaus.
"Right from the beginning, I never had a conversation with him about this football team. It was always about what he needed financially and money. I never heard team, I always heard me and I and 'I need 10 million dollars. I'm a 10 million-dollar-a-year quarterback.' - Brad Childress, Vikings coach.
I've ripped on hamster face for his fraternity style of hiring assistants, but I have to say I'm warming to him. I like a guy that won't put up with bullshit, a guy that will call a players bluff and say, "Fuck you, I'll win without you."
Later in the same story Childress goes on to question whether Daunte will be able to continue his success, basically saying that his injury will affect his mobility and turn him into a pocket passer. I'm glad he's gone, I just hope we find the heir apparent soon.
*OK, back to baseball.
Opening day is fast-approaching, so today I begin the preview of the American League Central Division with the one team that everyone knows will stink, the Kansas City Royals.
A couple years ago the Royals went a fluke 83-79 and competed for the division. If they were smart they would've known it was a fluke and continued to build for the future. But they went for it, proved to be a fluke, and set themselves back again. (In fairness, they didnt' have much of a choice. You can't exactly not try to win a pennant and expect fans to stick with you.)
Last year the Royals posted the worst record in franchise history (56-106), and surpassed 100 losses for the third time in four years. (For an idea of how bad that is, the Twins, bad as they were from '93 to 2000, never lost more than 97 during that stretch.)
This year they've added a bunch of veterans on the down side of their careers. It won't make them competitive, but it's not as terrible an idea as it sounds, because there are so few decent prospects for the veterans to take playing time from.
The Royals added pitchers Scott Elarton, Joe Mays, Mark Redman and Elmer Dessens, catcher Paul Bako, infielders Doug Mientkiewicz and Mark Grudzielanek (jeez they should call it the scrabble infield) and outfielder Reggie Sanders.
The best of the Royals holdovers include 1B Mike Sweeney, CF David DeJesus, OF Emil Brown, and DH/OF Matt Stairs.
3B Mark Tehan and C John Buck are the Royals version of Mauer and Morneau, but so far they've been very disappointing. Alex Gordon is the best prospect in the organization, and he might get called up this year. He's probably not ready, but they have nothing else.
Zack Greinke and Runelvys Hernandez both have potential as starters, but they were both really bad last year.
If there is any strength to this club, it's the bullpen. Mike McDougal came back nicely last year after washing out, and 6-10 lefty Andrew Sisco and fireballing righty Ambiorix Burgos look legit. Jeremy Affeldt is a talented lefty who'd look great in a Twins uniform. The Royals will probably trade him, but not likely to the Twins.
The Good: Mientkiewicz and Grudzielanek improve the defense, while Sanders is a nice addition with the bat. Sweeney, Stairs and Brown can all hit. Their pitching will be better, but still below par.
The Bad: Mienkiewicz can't hit, Sweeney will surely go on the DL again, and the pitching has way too many question marks. Plus, every other team in the AL Central looks solid this year.
Worse, the best players on this team are all old guys who won't be around for more than a year or two. Most of their young talent are C to B- prospects.
Best case scenario: Everyone stays healthy, Teahan and Buck develop, Greinke becomes the next Brad Radke, Mays thrives on the natural grass surface, the new additions all contribute and Gordon shows signs of being a future stud in a late season call up. If all that happened they'd still struggle to win 75 games.
Worst case scenario: Sweeney and Stairs get hurt, Teahan, Buck, DeJesus and Greinke regress, the veteran additions all prove to be finished. Another 100 loss season would be a certainty.
KC Royals
Manager: Buddy Bell
Offense: C
Defense: B
Starting Pitching: D
Bullpen: C
Bench: D
Prediction: 67-95 5th in AL Central.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget all the fun you can have with Mike Sweeney's name, because that's all I could do last year at the 3 Royals games I attended. For instance...

"Mike Sweeney's performance was limp today"

"Stop being so hard on Mike Sweeney"

Really, say them out loud, it makes any boring game into a laughfest. Say these at a party, and watch hilarity ensue. Anyway, enough of my child-like humor.

Congrats on getting engaged!

-Zach S.

SDTwin said...

It took me like 5 minutes to get it.
Mike's Weeney - Ha Ha!
I'm an idiot

Anonymous said...

No sweat, just a little worried about what happened to your juvenile sense of humor haha

-Z