Monday, December 26, 2005

It's Over (Plus more '06 lineup)

I'm surprised at how hard I took the Vikings loss to the Ravens tonight.
The Vikings have fallen to a very distant second behind the Twins when it comes to my favorite sports teams, but for some reason, I liked this team.
Maybe because they finally had a reasonable defense, maybe because of their improbable rise from the dead to contention, maybe because I pull for Mike Tice.
Or maybe because they simply should've won this won. And then they should've beat the Bears to make the playoffs. I was sure it would happen. How could they lose to the Ravens?
30-23? (don't you WISH you bet the over).
Ironic, too, that that was the score when most people (myself included) figured it would take probably 17 points to win. I figured for a low-scoring game, and if an offense like the Vikings' (it's worse than you think it is) can score 23 points against the Raven's D - that should be a win every time.
And if Kyle Boller can have that kind of night, maybe the Vikes D still needs some work.
I'm not sure if Tice should be back - that probably depends on what the alternatives are.
But the defense, while far from fixed, is finally showing signs, so in that vein, now might not be a good time to blow the thing up and start over.
I'm just dissapointed, because I don't know what I'm going to watch now.
The Wolves are tough to get a read on, and I don't get that excited about them, anyway. (Although Wally sure is having a helluva year)
The Wild are an average team, and I don't know if I'm enough of a hockey fan to watch an average team.
Gophers? Well, okay they beat South Dakota State (I thought they'd lose) but I'm not impressed with them either.
Go Augie, I guess.
* I thought a little more about the Twins lineup next year, and cameup with a couple that I like (though I stress these are my ideas, not something I actually expec to see)

Castillo
Mauer
Stewart
White
Morneau
Hunter
Cuddyer
Batista
Bartlett
I like this one, because while Stewart's OBP and steals have been in decline, his skill with runners in scoring position isn't. As bad a year as he had last year, he was still the one guy who appeared to have a clue about how to get a hit in a tough spot. Putting him in the 3-hole not only lessens the effect of his faults, it magnifies his strenghts. Castillo and Mauer are both OBP machines. Having them 1-2 seems almost like a no-brainer.
Or...
Castillo
Mauer
White
Morneau
Hunter
Cuddyer
Stewart
Batista
Bartlett
White is capable of hitting 3-hole, especially if Morneau emerges. And if Morneau does indeed step up, he has to be hitting 4th in my opinion.
Stewart would go from an average to below average leadoff man to an above average 7-hitter.

No comments: