Friday, September 07, 2007

A break from baseball

I just haven't felt up to writing much about the Twins lately. A look around the other Twins blogs on the net shows that I'm not alone.
And, judging by the decrease in traffic around these parts, it's not like people are dying without more analysis of Nick Punto's suckiness.

So I'll offer my take on the Vikings. This isn't a football blog and it never will be. My interest in the NFL seems to deteriorate more and more each year. The more popular the league gets, the more I have a distaste for it.

But while I'm not much of an NFL fan these days, I'm still a Vikings fan.
Here are a few thoughts on the '07 season. I'm not optimistic.



I don't expect the Vikings to be good.
At all.
Of course, nobody in the this era of the NFL is very good, so I guess there's always a chance.
(About this whole parity thing. I really hated how the 49ers and Cowboys won everything back in the day, but it seemed like the league was stronger and the games were better. Now it seems like every team feels like they have a chance going into the season, and thats good, but it seems like the league isn't as good overall. I honestly don't even remember the last time I enjoyed a Vikings game. Too bad I keep watching anyway)

I think the offense will be quite shitty.
For one, Tarvaris Jackson will be worse than Brad Johnson was last year. He will be more mobile and strong armed, but he'll make poorer decisions, and probably be less accurate on short and intermediate routes.

Also while mobile quarterbacks can keep plays alive, they also are prone to frequent fumbles. Taking a sack and punting is better than scrambling for six yards and losing the football.

Adrian Peterson gives the Vikings their first and only dynamic player on offense. But will he stay healthy?
Everyone talks about what a great 1-2 punch he makes with Chester Taylor, but Taylor is overrated to begin with. He controls the ball (and the clock), but, if you take away the one fluke 96-yard run against Seattle, he averaged a measly 3.7 yards per carry. He's basically Mike Alstott.

Bobby Wade and Robert Ferguson could be decent WRs. I think Troy Williamson might snap out of it this year and actually catch some footballs. Sidney Rice might end up being the best WR on the roster.

I think they will miss Jermaine Wiggins.
I don't like the right side of the O-line.
Defensively it will be good to have a healthy Chad Greenway. Ben Leber and EJ Henderson are average.
Erasmus James, Kenechi Udeze, Kevin Williams - what can we expect from those guys?
Will Cedric Griffin survive in the secondary? And how bad will they miss Mike Tomlin? Will teams ever bother to even try to run the ball against them?

Bottom line - I don't think this team is ready. I think Brad Childress deserves some credit for recognizing what a poor job he and his staff did last year in handling the offense and in some cases even the personal relationships with media, players and fans, and taking steps to improve in those areas.

But I'm still not sold on him being a capable coach.
He took over a 9-7 team with lots of talent. If they go 6-10 again, or worse, does he deserve another year. Why couldn't he have tried to improve the 9-7 club? Why did he have to start all over and force us to watch this garbage?

Zim's 2007 NFC North Predicted Standings
1. Chicago 10-6
2. Green Bay 7-9
3. Detroit 6-10
4. Vikes 5-11


Some other Vikes predictions

Sports Illustrated Preview: 6-10

Jim Souhan, Strib: 7-9

Pat Reusse, Strib: 9-7

Newt, skolvikes.blogspot.com: NFC North Division Champs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad Childress kind of looks like Napoleon Dynamite's brother Kip.

Anonymous said...

T-Jack sucks crack