Sunday, December 10, 2006

Make It Happen


At different times in my life, the Minnesota Timberwolves and University of Minnesota Golden Gophers have been a very big deal. There were winters where those two teams took up way too much of my time.
This is not one of those winters.
The Gophers have become a Big 10 doormat. The Wolves are by no means terrible (impossible with Kevin Garnett on your roster), but they've become increasingly irrelevant as they find themselves stuck in neutral.
I'm exactly the fan both programs are trying to win back, and I have "the answer" (get it?) to how they can do so.
Kevin McHale, go get Alan Iverson. Now.
You may have heard that Iverson asked for a trade this week and the Sixers aim to accomodate him.
He reportedly is interested in playing with KG. Iverson's exactly the kind of player that can make KG better. He's averaging 30 a game. He's the only player in the NBA with a work ethic that rivals KG.
Do the Wolves have enough to land him? Maybe.
Randy Foye, Craig Smith, Ricky Davis, Mike James, Troy Hudson? They can have all of 'em.
With KG and AI on the same team, they'd win 55 games if the rest of the roster was CBA guys (oh, wait, it kind of is already).
There are few things can put the Wolves back on the map right now. This is one of them.
Joel Maturi, same deal.
Go get Bob Knight. Don't tell me he doesn't miss the Big 10. Or that he wouldn't fill Williams Arena. Or make the team winners without cheating. I don't think this is as unrealistic as some are making it out to be.
Do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. At this point they need to do something. I don't know what, but they need to do something(for you 'Tommy Boy' fans).
Either trade Garnett and rebuild, or go get AI. I would prefer the latter. Trading KG would be better for the team in the long term, but I want a reason to watch them now. If the Minneapolis fans are as disinterested in the Wolves as myself and my friends are, the front office might agree.

ck