Monday, October 17, 2005

Go A.J

I can't exactly say that I'm happy the White Sox are in the World Series, but
A) they deserve it
B) better them than the Red Sox or Yankees
C) I'm very happy for A.J. Pierzynski
AJ is a guy who's taken a lot of shit over the past couple years, mostly for being the kind of guy any manager worth his salt would kill to have on his team.
I could use all the bullshit cliched adjectives - gamer, scrappy, etc, etc, and they'd all apply, but they still miss the point.
Alot of guys run hard and slide hard and get dirty and are so called 'gamers'.
But almost all of them lack the attitude that AJ brings.
He's a guy you love to have on your side and hate to play against. He picks fights, talks shit, rips guys in the papers, and probly gets hammered after games. He kicks ass. There are many , many teams that lack spark in a variety of ways (I'm thinking of one in particular) and AJ has provided that for Chicago.
With the Twins embarassing themselves on the field and in the dugout this year, AJ would've been a welcome addition to their team.
The fact that Gardy had difficulties with this guy is just another reason I question Gardy as often as I do.
I also know a lot of Twins fans hate Ozzie Guillen, but I don't.
In fact, I knew when they hired him that he'd make them a winner.
Ozzie recognized that the Twins were onto something, convinced his GM to change the organizational philosophy to be closer to that of the Twins, and then turned around and beat them at their own game. Nice work.
The Twins are still in fine shape as an organization, but it should be apparent by now that neither the Sox or Indians were one-year wonders this year.
The AL Central will be very tough for the next half decade, and the Twins have to be proactive if theyr'e going to compete.

No comments: